Every relationship has unique trails, however working through these challenges can ultimately create the greatest rewards. It can be helpful to have a tool box of skills, to make the relationship journey (which can be rocky), as enjoyable as possible! The person who knows how to look after you best, as an adult, is you! You are worth it, and you deserve the most loving relationship possible.
In reality, relationships are often an evolution between two parties who care about each other. However, despite their best intentions, challenging situations arise. None of us behaves exactly as we would like in all situations. We all react sometimes and can unconsciously hurt the ones we love the most. Learn how to navigate the “storms” with your partner, in the best way possible.
- Miscommunication can lead to misunderstanding and unnecessary problems. When you clearly express yourself, you allow your partner to gain greater insight and understanding of the things that are not acceptable to you and the things that are important to you.
- Appreciate your partner and let them know by words or by kind deeds, that you do not take them for granted.
- Keep the passion and the flame of your relationship burning bright, by keeping the loving connection flowing between you. You can feel when that connection is compromised, and that is a good thing, as it is an opportunity to get the relationship back on track. These situations may require real conversation facing the difficult issues, or as simple as a loving text, email or phone call.
- Establish trust, guided by your intuition, with the people you love, as it allows you to develop deeper intimacy.
- Laugh together! Play games, have fun and let go of beliefs such as, “I always get hurt”. Be conscious of the words you are using!
- Be compassionate and understanding towards your partner. When issues arise, ideally give them the benefit of the doubt, until you get to the facts. Then sort things out using active listening skills and creating a win/win solution.
Tip: Let go of expectations where possible. Often, when we relax and stop worrying, our partner can surprise us and treat us better than we would have expected.