Often the thought of exercising can be overwhelming because it can mean change—but think of it as making improvements.
If you are looking for an excuse not to exercise, you will always find it; “I don’t have time,” “the membership is too expensive,” “I’d rather spend time with my family”. Don’t get me wrong, they are all valid points, but it is still possible to have an active lifestyle. You just have to be creative!
- Set yourself some goals. Start small and work your way up to achieving an ultimately healthier lifestyle.
- Walk as often as you can; to the shops, to work, to your friend’s house. Cardio increases your fitness level immensely and is the most efficient way of getting your body into fat-burning mode. If you are not comfortable with jogging or running, then focus on going for regular walks.
- Spend time with your family outside! Skip the trip to the cinemas this week and go to the park or the beach. Take a ball and run around or go for a swim. This way you can trick yourself into thinking you’re not exercising, but instead just hanging out with the important people in your life.
- Move around more often—avoid sitting down for more than 20 minutes at a time. If you are watching TV or at your desk; get up to go to the bathroom or have a conversation with someone in another room.
- Try something you have never done before; play a team sport, take a Zumba class, mow the lawn.
- Be realistic—commit to consistency. For example; if you are time poor, keep it local. You are more likely to stick with it if it fits into your schedule, without any dramatic changes.