Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
The way our energy flows within our body directly relates to how alive and vital we feel. Energy is our power source—we cannot lift our arm without energy. Where there is no energy, there is no life. Energy is something we experience, we feel. The stronger our energy or life force usually, the more happy, joyous, and healthy we are.
Energy has been referred to in many ways throughout history, including Chi and Prana. In the past, understanding and working with energy has been seen, as something available only to a chosen few, such as gurus or enlightened masters. However, the year 2000 marked a new era: The Golden Age, signifying a time in history, where many people are beginning to understand and work with energy.
The etheric body is the energy template for living beings. It is a thin invisible body that runs through the physical body. The etheric body sustains and supports the physical body. It appears as an energy matrix made up of auras, meridians, and chakras, transporting energy throughout the body. Auras, Chakras, and meridians connect to and nourish all the major organs, glands and nerves, in our physical body. When our auras, meridians, and chakras are open and flowing with energy, we feel energetic and alive. When energy blockages occur in our etheric body, we feel lethargic and tired.
The major energy centres are:
- Meridians: like veins carry blood around our body, our meridians transport energy. The flow of the meridian energy is as critical as the flow of blood. The meridian system brings vitality and balance, removes blockages, adjusts metabolism, and determines the speed and form of cellular change. Meridians affect every organ and every physiological system, including the immune, nervous, endocrine, circulatory, respiratory, digestive, skeletal, muscular, and lymphatic systems. At least one meridian feeds each system. When a meridian’s energy is obstructed or unregulated, the system it feeds is jeopardised. The meridians include fourteen channels that carry energy into, through, and out of our body. Our meridian pathways also connect hundreds of tiny, distinct reservoirs of heat and electromagnetic energy along the surface of our skin. These are acupuncture points, which when stimulated with needles or physical pressure, release or redistribute energy along the meridian pathway.
- Chakras: the word chakra translates from the Sanskrit as a disk, vortex, or wheel. The chakras are concentrated energy centres. Each major chakra in the human body is a centre of swirling energy positioned at one of seven points, from the base of our spine to the top of our head. Each chakra supplies energy to specific organs corresponds to a distinct aspect of our personality and resonates with one of seven universal principles. The base chakra relates to survival, the sacral chakra to creativity, the solar plexus chakra to identity, the heart chakra to love, the throat chakra to expression, the brow chakra to comprehension, and the crown chakra relates to transcendence. Our chakras also code our experiences in their energies, just as memories are chemically coded in our neurones. Our chakra energies, record every emotionally significant event, we ever experience.
- Auras: are multi-layered shells of energy, that emanate from our body and interact with the energy of our environment. Technology can now video and analyse auras in real-time, and scientists refer to auras as biofields. The aura is a two-way circuit that brings in energy from the environment to our chakras, and that sends energy from our chakras back to the aura and then to the environment. When we feel happy, attractive and spirited, our aura may fill an entire room. When we are sad, despondent, and sombre, our aura is more closed, forming an energetic shell that can isolate us from the world.
- Feelings and thoughts: can have an energetic charge around them that affects our energy from flowing freely through our auras, chakras and meridians. These energetic centres flow freely when thoughts and feelings pass through the body in a neutral way. That is why it is helpful to develop the ability to observe our feelings neutrally (i.e. without an emotional charge or judgment) and let them flow.
How to feel energised:
- Healing unresolved issues: that are suppressed in the body creating energy blockages. If we feel upset about things that have happened in the past, confronting the issue and letting go is the answer. Forgiveness or compassion, make us feel lighter and freer. Our energy flows freely as we no longer hold onto things such as hurt or resentment.
- Meditation: helps us to understand our thoughts and feelings. Stilling a restless mind and becoming fully engaged in the moment, allows energy to move freely around our body.
- Exercise: Yoga, Qigong and Tai Chi, are specifically designed to clear energetic blockages. If practiced consistently, they can greatly assist in maintaining vitality. Sport also helps to increase energy levels, as we breathe more deeply, which has the effect of increasing our oxygen intake, making us feel alive and healthy.
- Massage: physically moves energy around the body. Sore spots and tension can often indicate blocked energy, which is why we can feel emotional during or after a massage. Then we feel better, as any energy blockages have been released.
- Therapies: such as reiki, shiatsu acupuncture and kinesiology are healing modalities, based on eastern culture, that remove blockages from our energetic system
- Nature: inherently helps us to relax and our energy to flow. The ocean or a beautiful park can assist us to let go of thoughts, that have been creating confusion and allow us to see things with greater clarity.
- Healthy fresh food: nourishes our body, allowing our cells to function at their optimum and us to feel more energetic.
- Rest: when we need to. Sometimes we may be genuinely tired, so rather than pushing ourselves a little harder, we may need to rest, to restore and renew.
Being mindful of our energy is the key to vitality. When our energy is low, we can tune into our body and support our life force, in living the happiest, healthiest life possible.
To discover more about the energy see: Bliss Every Day eCourse