To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance. ~ Oscar Wilde
Self-esteem is an ability of how you look at yourself, by loving, taking care, and respecting yourself first. Caring and showing affection towards people surrounding you is secondary. It is a feeling of how you think about yourself and not what others think about you. High self-esteem helps you grow, by making you realize your abilities and true potential by creating a sense of self-worth.
Why Boost Your Self-Esteem?
It is common to go through a phase of low self-esteem. You may start to doubt your abilities or are susceptible to the influence of what other people think or say about you.
Signs that you may need to boost your self-esteem are:
- Paying attention to your weaknesses.
- Frequent episodes of depression and anxiety.
- Starting to hate yourself.
- Having that “good for nothing” feeling.
- Struggling to say NO.
- Becoming hard for you to keep up with your relationships.
- Easily getting angry, frustrated, or irritated.
- Becoming highly sensitive to other people’s opinions.
The prolonged consequences of low self-esteem can be self-destructive if they are not overcome. However, by implementing the following tips, it is certainly possible to boost your self-esteem.
10 Positive Ways to Boost Your Self-Esteem
- Take time to recognize your accomplishments, as this can be a great way to end your day. Concentrate and celebrate the accomplishments that you have achieved during your day. This will help you to focus more on your strengths rather than the weakness.
- Practice positive self-talk and affirmations and make your inner voice your best friend.
For example, trying affirmations like, “I am strong and courageous”, “I am capable and worthy”. Support yourself and your self-belief to stay positive.
- Surround yourself with people who matter to you the most and bring out the best in you.
Being in a motivating and encouraging environment will help you to shine so you can support others in the same way.
- Stop comparing yourself with others as this will keep you stuck.
When you compare yourself, you can start to doubt your capabilities which can hamper your growth. Instead, accept yourself as you are, and keep moving ahead.
- Say NO when you need to if you know the situation or the person is not right for you.
You will make yourself open to more good opportunities and the things that you really want to do.
- Be kind towards yourself by showering love and affection on yourself first.
Surround yourself with things that you love and nourish yourself with good food.
- Follow your passion.
Your passion and hobbies can make you feel good about yourself and take the focus of your fears and worries.
- Help others to learn something new.
Knowledge is worth sharing with others. This way you are helping them to grow and at the same time, you are growing too.
Smiling is a natural stress reliever, and it helps you to connect with others.
- Get your body moving.
Exercise not only helps to tone your body, but it also helps to improve your focus and sense of achievement in completing small goals.
Boosting your self-esteem does not happen overnight. It requires regular practice and patience. The natural ups and downs of life can challenge your self-esteem. However, by taking responsibility for nurturing your self-esteem, your beauty, uniqueness, and talent will shine through.